- 1 1/2 lbs ground round beef
- 1/2 head medium cabbage
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbsps canola oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2 fl oz lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- Start the ground round cooking in a heavy skillet over high heat; spread it out to cover the bottom of the pan so it cooks quicker.
- While the ground beef is browning, chop the onion and crush the garlic.
- Plunk them in the pan with the ground beef, and stir it up, using a spatula to turn it over and break it up so that it cooks evenly.
- Cover the pan and let it continue cooking.
- Meanwhile, chop the cabbage coarsely. Stir this into the beef mixture a bit at a time, it may come close to overwhelming your skillet. Take care to turn everything over to keep it cooking evenly. Re-cover the pan.
- Continue to stir the meat mixture to keep it cooking evenly, covering in between stirrings.
- When the cabbage is starting to wilt, stir in the tomato sauce, lemon juice, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Re-cover, let the whole thing simmer for 5 minutes, then serve.